Help for people with disabilities
Updated: 30 Aug 2015
If you or someone you live with has a disability, there are some sections of this site which will be of particular interest to you. Click on the links below for more information. We have a range of services and publications specifically designed to be of help to people with a disability.
If you need help using this website please visit our accessibility page
Adaptations (making alterations to your home)
If you, or someone living with you in your property, has a disability, an adaptation may help you to live more comfortably in your home.
- The process for obtaining a housing adaptation – this section provides help on how to get changes made to your house.
- The application procedure- how to apply for adaptations to your home will depend on your situation. Please select your accommodation from the list below to find out about the application procedure.
- Examples of adaptations - housing adaptations for people with a disability are classified into two categories, major and minor adaptations, and this section gives examples of the kinds of work which make up each category.
Disabled Facilities Grant
This section gives information on how to get a grant to help adapt your home to suit your needs.
The Supporting People Programme helps people to live independently. The links below provides more information and advice on the services offered.
- About Supporting People
- The Supporting People Strategy
- The service providers directory
- Floating support
Help with energy costs
If you have a disability, health or medical problems you may get some assistance from your energy providers. For further information visit our section on:
General housing advice
Applying for a home
- Applying for a home
- The application process
- How the Housing Selection Scheme works
- Apply for a transfer
- Advice for Housing Executive tenants
Buying a home
Renting a home
Local Housing Allowance
The Disability Forum was set up by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) and Disability Action in June 2011. The Forum provides user representation covering visual, hearing, physical, learning, hidden, mental health and multiple disabilities and focuses specifically on the housing issues which affect people with disabilities.
- Download "Adapting your own home - public sector" ( 363 KB)
- Download "Adapting your own home - private sector" ( 313 KB)
- Download the Housing Selection Scheme booklet ( 322 KB)
Other sections of this site
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 028 9024 0588 or 03448 920 900.
Text relay service
Text Relay allows people who are deaf or hearing impaired to use a textphone to access any services that are available on standard telephone systems.
A highly trained Text Relay operator provides a communicative link between the textphone user (who is deaf) and the hearing person. The service is discreet, confidential and convenient. If you are deaf, all you need is a textphone, which is a specially adapted telephone with a keyboard.
General enquiries 18001 03448 920 900
Repairs 18001 03448 920 901
Housing Benefit 18001 03448 920 902