Energy and the environment
Updated: 21 Oct 2014
We are the Home Energy Conservation Authority for Northern Ireland, so we have an important role to play in improving energy efficiency and advising people on how to save energy.
What does the Housing Executive do?
- We have developed a strategy for improving energy efficiency in Northern Ireland homes. You can read about it in more detail in our Strategies section.
- We have an environmental policy in place which applies to all our decisions, policies and practices.
- Visit the save energy section of the site to find out more about what we do. There is also a separate section dealing with the specific issues regarding energy saving in rural areas.
- Download our 2013 Home Energy Conservation Report ( 1001 KB) for more information.
What can I do?
There are a lot of simple things you can do to save energy which will reduce your carbon dioxide emissions and help prevent climate change. These range from switching your lights off when you leave a room to insulating your cavity walls properly.
By bringing energy saving into every part of your life - work, travel, and day to day living - you can make a real difference. Not only will you do your bit to help prevent climate change, you will also see a difference in your pocket. The average household could save up to £270 a year on energy bills by being more energy efficient.
You may be eligible for:
NIDirect has a lot of information about saving energy in the home.
To find out more about how to get the most out of your oil heating system and payment options:
- Download the Oil Heating Systems leaflet ( 394 KB)