What you need from your landlord when you move in
Updated: 07 Dec 2016
When you move in your landlord must give you:
If your landlord doesn’t give you a rent book or statement of tenancy terms you should contact your local district council's environmental health department.
What you need to do
- Agree and sign the inventory of furnishings ( 54 KB) with your landlord or witness (you may wish to take photographs of damaged furniture etc.)
- Advise service suppliers for gas, electric and telephone that you are the new tenant and take meter readings.
- Contact your local Housing Executive office immediately if you are going to claim Local Housing Allowance or notify them of your change of address if you had a claim at a previous address.
- Insure your possessions (your landlord is responsible for building insurance).
- Get familiar with heating systems, electrical appliances and water systems, how they operate and how to turn them off in an emergency.