The HMO registration scheme
Updated: 18 May 2013
Up to now the implementation of the HMO Registration Scheme has been done in a phased manner but now all HMOs must be registered with the Housing Executive and a phased implementation programme is currently underway. Landlords and letting agents can check the date of registration for the HMO property by clicking on the link below.
Are any HMOs exempt from registration?
The following HMOs are exempt from registration:
- Residential homes, within the meaning of the Registered Homes (NI) Order 1992
- Children’s homes or community homes within the meaning of the Children (NI) Order 1995
- Boarding schools
- Any building or part of a building which is occupied principally for the purposes of a religious community whose principal occupation is prayer, contemplation, education or the relief of suffering
- Properties owned by the Housing Executive
- Any HMO which is occupied by persons who comprise no more than two families
- Any HMO which is occupied by no more than two persons in addition to the owner (or owners) and members of the family (or families) of owner(s)