Skip to content

Disabled Facilities Grant

Updated: 02 May 2016
Share |
The disabled facilities grant can be used to improve bathroom access
Disabled adaptation Newry
This grant is to help to improve the home of a person with a disability, and may be based on the recommendation of an occupational therapist. While discretionary grants have been restricted, the Disabled Facilities Grants is a mandatory grant, and is still available for works recommended by your Occupational Therapist.

Who can apply for Disabled Facilities Grant?

Owner occupiers, landlords or private tenants can get assistance to carry out adaptations, providing there is a person with a disability living in the house.

What works are covered?

Only works recommended by your local occupational therapist (unless otherwise agreed by the local health trust and the Housing Executive) can be considered for grant aid. Typical work may include:
  • improving access to your bathroom, living room or bedroom
  • providing additional bathroom facilities
  • making the preparation and cooking of food easier, for example by enlarging the kitchen or providing low level units
  • adapting lighting or heating controls
  • improving your heating system to switch operated system

How much can I get?

The amount of grant we will pay depends on the approved cost of the work and your financial circumstances. If you are on a low income you may get grant aid up to a maximum of £25,000. We will calculate if you have to make a contribution. Where a more extensive scheme is required to meet the needs of the disabled person, it may be possible to receive more than £25,000 subject to senior management approval.  Contact your local grants office for further details and a guide to how much grant you might get.

Can I do other work?

Yes, but the costs for this will have to be paid by you and will not be grant aided by us.

How do I apply?

Contact your local Health and Social Services Trust, who will answer your questions, start the process and contact us. You can also speak to your GP or social worker.

Can I get help to process my application?

Your local grants office will be pleased to answer your questions at any stage of the process. If you are elderly or have special needs we have made arrangements with some independent agencies to help you.

How long does it take?

This depends on the level of demand and the money available. You can help to speed up the process by submitting your documents on time.

When will I receive my grant payment?

You will be paid when the work is finished and acceptable to the occupational therapist and us and you have sent us all accounts, receipts and certificates.  You can receive payments during the work if the grants manager agrees to this.