Skip to content

Deductions for non-dependants

Updated: 26 Jul 2017
Share |
A son over 18 who lives with you would count as a non-dependant
A young farmer
There are specific Housing Benefit rules that apply if you have non-dependants living with you. This is an overview of those rules - if you require more detailed information about your own circumstances please call us on 03448 920 902.

Who is a non-dependant?

A non-dependant is someone, other than your partner, aged 18 or over who lives with you. Examples of non-dependants are elderly relatives or adult sons or daughters that you no longer receive child benefit for.
Non-dependants do not include:
  • Boarders & lodgers
  • Tenants, joint tenants or sub-tenants.
  • Professional carers
  • Visitors whose normal home is elsewhere.

What is a non-dependant deduction?

For most non-dependant people living in your household we have to reduce your Housing Benefit to take account of that person’s contribution to the household expenses. This is called a Non-Dependant Deduction.
We usually have to make a deduction for each non-dependant person in the household. However, if two non-dependant people are married to each other (or are living together as if they were married) then only one deduction is made.

When is a non-dependant deduction not made?

No deductions will be made if you (or your partner) is:
  • Registered blind
  • Receiving Attendance Allowance
  • Receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (at any rate).
No deductions will be made if the non-dependant is:
  • Receiving pension credit
  • Aged under 25 and gets Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Gets a youth training allowance
  • Is a prisoner
  • Is a full time student
  • Has been in hospital for more than 52 weeks.

How much will be deducted?

This depends on the type and amount of income of the non-dependant people living with you. Please see the tables below.
The lowest deductions are made for people working less than 16 hours per week or receiving state benefits. Larger deductions are made for people working 16 hours or more per week depending on the person’s total income.
By total income we mean gross income from employment (before tax and National Insurance contributions), social security benefits (excluding Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance)and any other incomes.
If there is a non-dependant couple living in your household we will make only one deduction based on their circumstances and combined income.
If you are a joint tenant with another person and the non-dependants share the home with both of you, then your Housing Benefit will be reduced by half the normal non-dependant deduction.

What if my non-dependant makes no contribution to the household?

The Housing Executive is still obliged to make the deduction and cannot vary the amounts according to individual circumstances. You should, therefore, take the amount of the deduction into account and discuss this with the non-dependant.

What if my non-dependant will not tell me about their earnings and incomes?

The Housing Executive requires proof of a non-dependant’s income, otherwise we may apply the highest rate of deduction. The Housing Executive can supply a form to the non-dependant to confirm earnings and will treat this information confidentially.
You must always tell us when someone moves into or out of your household as this may affect your Housing Benefit.

If a friend or relative comes to stay with me at Christmas time or during the summer would you still make deductions?

No deduction would be made in these circumstances because a person who stays with you would still have their normal home elsewhere where they normally reside.

Weekly amount of non-dependant deductions from April 2016 to March 2017

Non Dependant Deductions for Rent 2016/2017

Circumstances Rent
Under 25 and receiving IS or JSA (IB) Nil
Under 25 and in receipt of ESA (IR) with no component Nil
Full time student Nil
In receipt of either kind of Pension Credit Nil
In receipt of main phase ESA(IR) £14.65
Over 25 and in receipt of IS or JSA (IB) £14.65
Aged 18 or over and not working 16 hours or more £14.65
Non Dep is aged 18 or more, working 16 hours or more per week
Gross Income Less than £133.00 per week £14.65
Gross Income £133  to  £194.99 per week £33.65
Gross Income £195  to  £252.99 per week £46.20
Gross Income £253  to  £337.99 per week £75.60
Gross Income £338  to  £419.99 per week £86.10
Gross Income £420 or more per week £94.50

Non Dependant Deductions for Rates 2016/17

Circumstances Rates
In receipt of Income Support or JSA (Income Based) or ESA (Income Related) or Pension Credit or a Full time student Nil
Under 18 and working Nil
Over 18 and not working 16 hours or more per week £3.30
Non Dep is aged 18 or more and working 16hrs or more per week
Gross Income less than £183 per week £3.30
Gross Income £183 to £315.99 per week £6.55
Gross Income £316 to £393.99 per week £8.25
Gross Income £394 or more per week   £9.90