What to do if an unknown caller comes to your door
Updated: 02 May 2016
Most people who call to your home will be genuine. But sometimes people turn up unannounced with the intention of tricking their way into your home. Their aim is to get into your home to distract you and steal money or valuables.
You should always be wary when someone you don’t know calls at your door. By using the following advice you can protect yourself and vulnerable members of your family.
What to look out for
Unknown callers may be smartly dressed, young or old, male or female and may claim to be from the council, the police, gas, water or electricity companies. Sometimes they may want to use the phone or ask for a drink of water.
If you are not expecting the caller, remember to:
- use a security bar or chain
- check their identification
- ask them to call back when you have someone with you
This new service is a partnership which involves ntl:telewest, FOLD Telecare and the police.
If you have an unexpected caller at your door:
- get their name and the details of who they say they work for
- ask them to wait while you check them out by calling 0800 013 2290 which is free to use
- you will be invited to give the details of the person to the Quick Check operator
- they will ask you to wait while they check the information you have been given with the organisation concerned
- if they confirm that the person is valid then it is safe to let them in
This service is available all day and all year round and remember, if you are in doubt check out your caller with Quick Check.
Other support services exist. In an emergency you can also ring the police on 999 or 0845 600 8000.
- Some companies use a password scheme. You can arrange to use one of them.
- Do not keep large amounts of cash in your home.
- Only let callers in when you are absolutely sure that they are genuine.
You can get further advice about home security from the crime prevention officer at your local police station.
Reporting an incident
If an unknown caller tries to enter your home, telephone the police. If you have any information about unknown callers, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Your call is free when you contact Crimestoppers, you will not be asked for your name, and you may receive an award.