Rural housing issues
Updated: 24 Nov 2017
We provide a range of services to help rural communities and those living or wanting to live in rural areas.
We have developed our ‘Sustainable Rural Communities’ Strategy & Action Plan 2016-2020 which recognises those housing issues which are specific to rural areas (small towns, villages, small settlements and dispersed rural communities with a population of less than 5,000) and sets out how we plan to identify and address housing needs over the next 4 years.
- Download the Rural Strategy & Action Plan 2016-2020 ( 2799 KB)
- Download a list of the areas classified as rural settlements ( 236 KB)
About this section
This section provides advice on the following topics:
- New homes - if you need a home or belong to a rural community where you think there is a need for new homes.
- Improving properties – if you want information on improving your property.
- Communities - if your community wishes to raise rural housing issues with the Housing Executive or you would like information on our Rural Residents Forum.
- Independent living - if you are faced with homelessness in a rural area or if perhaps your home requires adaptations to help you continue to live there
- Rural development - if you want to find out how housing can contribute to broader regeneration and development.