Housing Market Analysis
Updated: 13 Feb 2016
In Northern Ireland, as elsewhere in the UK, planning for housing provision takes account of a range of housing market dynamics and policies in order to address the full range of housing demand and need.
In line with the 2007 DCLG published guidance on the Strategic Housing Market Assessment methodologies the Housing Executive has embarked on a programme of Housing Market Analysis in NI. Our initial Housing Market Analysis research (2009) established eleven functional housing market geographies in NI
In March 2011, a Belfast Metropolitan Housing Market Analysis pilot was concluded. It is planned to deliver a two year Housing Market Analysis programme (2011/12 – 2012/13) on the remaining 10 Housing Market Area (HMA) reports, subject to available resources.
Two common themes run through Housing Market Analysis:
- The need to base local housing analysis on functional market areas that have some intrinsic rationale rather than simply on the basis of administrative boundaries;
- The need to integrate analysis of housing need with a more general investigation on how housing markets work. This should be based on a more accurate and fuller understanding of consumer choice and the impact of market responses to economic investment.
We believe that Housing Market Analysis is an important planning tool for housing development. It demonstrates an understanding of current housing market trends and identifies potential future imbalances in the NI housing market. Housing Market Analysis reports will provide a more detailed and rigorous inter tenure analysis of the housing market to complement our housing need assessment.
- Housing Market Affordability in Northern Ireland 2006/7 (February 2008) ( 589 KB)
- Housing Market Affordability in Northern Ireland (Published February 2007) ( 374 KB)
Affordability in the private housing market in Northern Ireland
Summary of analysis carried out by the University of Ulster, looking at two related measures of house purchase affordability (repayment affordability and deposit requirements) in Northern Ireland during the period 2010-2013.
Download the HMAs
- Belfast HMA ( 7751 KB)
- Newry HMA ( 2018 KB)
- Mid Ulster HMA ( 1846 KB)
- Ballymena HMA ( 1891 KB)
- Fermanagh HMA
- North West HMA
The Belfast Metropolitan Housing Market Area: a local housing system analysis
A pilot examination of a local housing system for the Belfast Metropolitan Housing Market Area (HMA). The Belfast Metropolitan HMA is the main economic engine of Northern Ireland. It was chosen as a pilot case study because it is the most complex of the housing market areas in Northern Ireland. It also provides numerous lessons for the conduct of such studies elsewhere in Northern Ireland. It has also been at the centre of an unprecedented boom and bust housing market, the effects of which have spilled over into social and private renting, the land market and the sustainability of the wider economy.