Warning of bogus callers in Belfast
Published: Thur, 6 Sep 2012
Following a recent incident in the Shore Road/ Whitewell area we are warning tenants to think twice before allowing a stranger into their home.
This follows yesterday's warning from the LPS about bogus callers in Belfast and Lisburn.
Tenants should be extra vigilant as bogus callers are on the increase and theft is usually their aim. These bogus callers will frequently claim to be from a public body such as the Housing Executive or a contractor. Residents should not allow anyone to enter their home without proper identification.
We offer the following advice to tenants:
- Our staff and contractors, and those from other public bodies will have a photographic identity card.
- Check this carefully, if they have forgotten their ID card they will understand if entry is refused.
- If you are in any doubt at all, take no chances, and refuse entry.
- Only a bogus caller will insist on entry without proper identification so:
- If you have a door chain or spy hole - use it, or look out of the window;
- Phone us on 03448 920 900 to check the caller’s details;
- You can also phone ‘Quick Check’, on 0800 013 22 90 a 24 hour freephone service to check the identity of the caller;
- If you are suspicious call the police.