Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Since 1 April 2019 your local Council has had responsibility for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).  

Your council is responsible for licensing HMOs and carrying out the necessary checks and inspections. They will also ensure that the property is suitable for the specified maximum number of people that will occupy it.

Read more about HMO Licensing or further information on the Houses in Multiple Occupation Act (Northern Ireland) 2016.

Information for private landlords

If you own a property which is considered a House in Multiple Occupation, it must be licensed by your local council. Belfast City Council is managing the licence scheme on behalf of all councils in Northern Ireland.

T: 028 9027 0414


Additional information and advice for private landlords is available on nidirect.

Is this page helpful?
Yes No