Skip to content

How to get compensation for home improvements

Updated: 20 Mar 2019
Share |
Find out whether you qualify by contacting your district office
Derry district office
If you are a secure tenant who has carried out improvements to your home on or after the 29th July 2003, and your tenancy has ended, you may be able to receive compensation for the improvements provided they were approved by us.

Who gets compensation?

If you are a secure tenant of the Housing Executive you may be able to get compensation for any approved improvements to your house or flat. In special circumstances, where you are unable to make a claim, others may be able to claim on your behalf. If you have succeeded to the tenancy, (i.e. taken it over from a tenant who has died), you can find out if you qualify for compensation by contacting your local district office.
You will not receive compensation if:
  • you buy your house or flat under the Right to Buy Scheme
  • your home is being repossessed by us
  • you are being given a new tenancy for your existing home.

Do I need permission to make improvements?

You must get our written permission before you make any improvements to your home.  If we refuse to give permission you can appeal our decision to the area manager or the county court. You will only receive compensation if we agreed to the improvements before they were made.