Skip to content

What kind of improvements can I be compensated for?

Updated: 17 Mar 2019
Share |
A replacement sink or kitchen cupboards may be eligible
HMO fire regulations kitchen
You can only get compensation for certain improvements that were started on or after 29th July 2003.
These include installing, replacing or fitting:
  • a bath or shower
  • wash-hand basin
  • toilet
  • kitchen sink
  • storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • work surfaces for food preparation
  • space or water heating
  • thermostatic radiator valves
  • insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • loft insulation
  • cavity wall insulation
  • draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • double glazing or other external window replacement
  • secondary glazing
  • rewiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)
  • any object that improves the security of the dwelling house but excluding burglar alarms.
Decorating the inside of your home does not qualify for compensation.

What can I claim compensation for?

You can claim compensation for:
  • the cost of materials (but not appliances such as cookers or fridges)
  • labour costs (but not your own labour).
When you apply for compensation you will need to give us an invoice showing the cost of the improvments.