Review of Housing Adaptations Services
Updated: 23 Feb 2018
As a result of the Inter-Departmental Review of Housing Adaptations Services a number of service improvements were agreed for action.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
The Department for Communities and Department of Health have jointly signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for housing adaptations services in Northern Ireland. The MOU sets out relevant legislation, organisational responsibilities and areas for collaboration.
Adaptations Design Communications Toolkit
Together with the two departments, we have worked closely with disabled people, occupational therapists, housing designers, the Northern Ireland Federation of Housing Associations since the consultation period. This work has resulted in the agreement of an Adaptations Design Communications Toolkit:
- Download the toolkit ( 7295 KB) (this version will not demonstrate the pull down menus available on the operational documents)
The toolkit incorporates best practice guidance for housing adaptations design.
Minor Adaptations in social housing
We have published guidance on the Minor Adaptations to Housing Executive and Housing Association properties that do not require an Occupational Therapist (OT) recommendation.
The Housing Executive, on behalf of the Department for Social Development (DSD) and the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) sought the views of the public on the Inter-Departmental Review of Housing Adaptations Services Final Report and Action Plan 2016.
- Terms of Reference for the Joint Housing Adaptations Steering Group (JHASG) ( 122 KB)
- Inter-Departmental Review of Housing Adaptations Services: Final Report and Action Plan 2016 ( 907 KB)
- Final Report and Action Plan - easy read version ( 1062 KB)
The Department for Social Development and the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety jointly launched a Review of Housing Adaptations Services in February 2010. A public consultation was conducted as part of the review.
As part of the consultation process the following documents were published:
- Inter Departmental Review of Housing Adaptations Services - Evidence Base Report ( 2015 KB)
- Interdepartmental Review of Housing Adaptations Services Executive Summary ( 775 KB)
Summary of Consultation responses
Both Departments expressed their gratitude to all those who responded to the consultation which was undertaken in 2013. All responses were analysed and the summary is now available:
The consultation responses will help to inform the development of a final outcomes focussed report.