Skip to content

Renting from a private landlord

Updated: 16 Feb 2019
Share |
You may be able to claim Housing Benefit through the LHA
To let sign
You can rent accommodation that is not owned by the Housing Executive or housing associations. This is generally known as renting privately.

Getting started

  • Before you start looking for somewhere to rent, read our guidelines so that you know the right questions to  ask and what to look for.
  • You have certain rights when you rent privately, and you can learn about them here.
  • You may be able to claim Housing Benefit in the form of the Local Housing Allowance.
  • If you are a landlord then we have practical information and advice for you.

Sharing a house with friends or colleagues?

If you are sharing a house with other students, friends or colleagues, this type of accommodation is known as a House in Multiple Occupation or HMO.  You should read our advice about HMOs before you move in.
Both landlords and prospective tenants can get specific information about their responsibilities if they rent out Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

Northern Ireland Private Tenants' Forum

The Key to Private Renting is a video produced by the Northern Ireland Private Tenants' Forum, a group of tenants who have experienced problems with private rented accommodation in Northern Ireland and who have come together to campaign for better conditions. It's packed with top tips on how to find a rented home that's right for you and what you can do to keep a roof over your head.