Skip to content

Safety advice for private tenants

Updated: 20 Feb 2019
Share |
Don't use gas appliances if you think they're unsafe - call your landlord
Plumber at work
Landlords have responsibility, under the law, to carry out repairs and maintain in a safe condition certain gas and electrical appliances and furniture.
The landlord should provide the tenant with instructions and warnings on the safe use of gas and electrical appliances.
Check if the property has smoke alarms (it is recommended that you install new smoke alarm batteries when you move in), carbon monoxide detectors, a fire extinguisher, a fire blanket in the kitchen, and a means of escape in case of fire.
Do not use gas appliances that you think or know are unsafe and report them to your landlord. If there is a gas leak you should immediately leave the dwelling and telephone the gas emergency number 0800 111 999.
If carbon monoxide detectors are not already installed you should discuss this with your landlord or consider providing them yourself.