Skip to content

Replacement Grant

Updated: 20 Feb 2019
Share |
A replacement grant is only available for your main residence
Replacement grant Fermanagh
The discretionary Replacement Grant is only available in exceptional circumstances.  Exceptional circumstances are deemed to exist where there is an imminent and significant risk to the occupier.  Replacement Grants are intended to help people who live in rural areas, where their homes are unfit to live in and which are no longer suitable for improvement.
We are not currently accepting new preliminary applications for Replacement Grant as we do not want to raise expectations about the availability of grants or have people incur costs unnecessarily.  The information below will only apply to those applications where it is considered that exceptional circumstances exist.

Who can apply?

Owner-occupiers and landlords in selected areas. Applicants must be aged 18 years or over.

What type of property is eligible?

The property can be occupied by the owner, or a member of their family or be vacant. If it is occupied then the owner or a family member must be living in the house for at least 12 months. If it is vacant, then the applicant must be in urgent housing need as assessed under the Housing Selection Scheme and they must also have strong social or economic ties to the area. The property would have to be in such a state of disrepair that it would not be suitable for renovation, or that it would not be cost effective.

Can I get a grant for a second home?

No. Replacement Grants are only available for the house you occupy, or intend to occupy, as your only or main residence.

Must I replace the existing house?

Usually yes. There may however  be cases where we decide that relocation to a nearby part of the same land holding is preferable and would be more cost effective.

Can the original house be retained?

Normally the original dwelling must be demolished before the final payment of the grant. However, on a recommendation from the Environment Heritage Services the original dwelling may be retained.

How much can I get?

The amount of grant we will pay depends on the approved cost of the work and your financial circumstances. If you are on a low income you may get grant aid up to a maximum of £31,500.  We will calculate if you have to make a contribution.
Contact your local grants office for further details and a guide to how much grant you might get.

Can I do other work?

You may wish to carry out other work at the same time.  The cost for this will have to be paid by you and will not be grant aided by us.

Can I get help to process my application?

Your Grants Office will be pleased to answer your questions at any stage of the process. If you are elderly or have special needs we have made arrangements with some independent agencies to help you.

How long does it take?

This depends on the level of demand and the money available.  You can help to speed up the process by submitting your documents on time.

What are the conditions of grant?

When making an application there are a number of things you must do:
  • Undertake to occupy the house as your only or main residence for five years, or
  • Landlords must make the house available for letting for five years
If you do not keep this agreement you may have to repay the grant with interest.

How is the grant paid?

You will be paid when the work is finished and acceptable to us and you have sent us all accounts, receipts and certificates. You can receive payments during the work if the grants manager agrees.