Updated: 20 Jun 2018
Applying online is simple and quick
Before you start your form, please carefully read the following information on proof of identity and evidence required.
It will help you complete the form accurately and speed things up.
- a Housing Executive tenant?
- a housing association tenant?
- receiving Income Support / Income Based Jobseekers Allowance / Income Related Employment & Support Allowance or Guaranteed pension credit?
- a homeless Full Duty Applicant?
- Or did you receive housing benefit in the last three years?
If you answered yes to one of the above then you do not need to provide proof of your identity and you can move to the other sections on evidence to read the rest of the information before completing our form online.
If you answered no then please read the information on proof of identity.
Proof of identity
Proof of you and your partner’s (if applicable), identity:
One of the following forms of photographic identity which must be current and valid
NI / GB / Ireland driving licence;
National identity card from an EU member state;
Electoral identity card;
Translink over 60 Smartpass
Translink Senior Smartpass
Translink Y-Link Card
Construction Skills Identity Card
Work pass issued by a government Department, Agency or Local Authority
*EEA nationals or other world nationals MUST produce a passport or European National Identity Card when providing proof of identity.
Two of the following:
credit / debit card
divorce / annulment papers
Home Office Standard Acknowledgement Letter
identity card issued by an EC / EEA member state
letter from solicitor / social worker / probation officer / Inland Revenue / PSNI
life assurance or insurance policies
National Insurance Number card
UK Residence Permit
utility bill for previous quarter
wage slip from current employer
current and valid driving licence (not NI / GB / RoI)
- statements and books which show bank account details for at least the last three months. This includes accounts you hold with a bank, building society, credit union and/or post office
- certificates for Premium Bonds, National or Ulster Savings Certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts
- letter from solicitor or mortgage holder confirming ownership or part ownership of all property
Please note we only require evidence of Capital, Savings and Investments if the total for you and your partner exceeds £5,000 if you’re of working age or £9,000 if you’re of pension credit age
Evidence of earnings
- your last five weekly, three fortnightly or two monthly payslips; or
- a certificate of earnings (this is within HB online form) signed by your employer
If self employed
- your most recent yearly accounts; or
- a completed self-employed income form (also available from your local office); and
- business bank account statements for the past two months
Evidence of other income
Benefits and allowances
- Child Tax Credit notification letter if you have more than two children in your household. There's further information available on our Housing Benefit section
- advice slip or letter for a private or occupational pension for you and / or your former partner / spouse
- court order award notices or Child Support Agency letters giving details of maintenance
- letters from absent parents confirming maintenance they pay to you if no court order has been made
- insurance policy or home income plan details
- letters confirming student grants and loans
Evidence of childcare payments
If you pay for childminding we can take this into account when calculating Housing Benefit.
Your childcare payments must be made to one of the following:
- A registered child minder
- A foster parent providing childcare to a child other than their own foster child under the Foster Placement (Children’s Regulations (NI)) 1996
- A domiciliary care worker as long as they are providing the care under the Domiciliary Care Agencies Regulations (NI) 2007
- Out of school hours service provided by a school (on school premises), the Education Authority or a Health and Social Services Trust
- A person, not a relative of the child, who carries out the care wholly or mainly in the child’s home (a childminding certificate is not required in this instance).
The proof we need
- a childminding certificate of registration (see note at option 5); and
- confirmation from your child care provider(s) detailing the name(s) of the child(ren) they look after; and
- proof of payments.
Evidence of private rent and tenancy
In exceptional circumstances we will accept the tenancy agreement signed by you and by your landlord or their agent.
Speed up assessment; complete online.
Just before you start have the following handy:
- your email address
- your bank account details (if the payment is to go to you)
- your landlord’s details
- pen and paper – to note your form reference number
What if I don’t have all the evidence right now?
Don’t worry, if you don’t have all of your evidence gathered you can still start your form, save it or submit it. You can send evidence to us online later.
The evidence must be with us within one calendar month of you submitting your application. It is a legal requirement for you to do so. A delay in sending the information will delay the assessment process as we need the information to start.
If this is not possible please call into your nearest Housing Executive office with the evidence or telephone us for further advice.
If you have any questions then talk to us:
- Tel: 03448 920 902
- Textphone: 18001 03448 920 902