Updated: 24 Jun 2018
We make a difference by working in one of the largest housing body’s in the UK; we provide a service to some of the most vulnerable sections of society and are in a position to help them change their lives through appropriate housing.
We employ around 3,000 people across Northern Ireland in a wide variety of technical and professional roles, including trainee schemes and apprenticeships in professional and vocational roles.
The Northern Ireland Housing Executive offers:
- Career development opportunities within the Housing Executive and wider public sector which you can apply for on a temporary, secondment or permanent basis.
- Investors in People – Silver Award, recognising the structured approach to training and development, including developing personal development plans for all employees.
- Financial assistance and time off work for employees who have approval to study for formal work-related qualifications.
- Partnership with local Universities to offer job specific degrees and higher education, with internal support from experts in the field.
- Professional membership fees required for your role are fully paid for by the Housing Executive.
- Mentor programme available for employees who want to move their career to the next level.
Additional Financial Benefits
- Our pension scheme is the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee (NILGOSC) scheme. As an employee, your contribution rate depends on how much you are paid but will be between 5.5% and 7.5% of your pensionable pay. The employer’s contribution rate is currently 20%.
- You can check the NILGOSC website for up-to-date contribution rates at http://www.nilgosc.org.uk. You may also be able transfer your service contributions from your previous employer to the NILGOSC scheme.
- Incremental pay progression - salary scales are available at http://www.nihe.gov.uk/salary_scales ( 645 KB)
- A childcare voucher scheme for employees.
- Enhanced maternity / paternity / adoptive pay (subject to terms and conditions).
- Overtime rates - Employees who are required to work additional hours beyond their normal working week are entitled to receive enhancements according to their terms and conditions, specific to their role.
- Tax Smart partnership with Translink, employees can save 20% saving on public transport through a salary sacrifice scheme.
- Payroll giving scheme is available for employees.
- The Housing Executive's Innovate Scheme – we pay up to £5000 to employees who submit successful ideas to improve NIHE ways of working.
- Carecall – providing free, confidential counselling and support to employees 24/7.
- Onsite Occupational Health services which includes flu jabs and complementary Fitech health and wellbeing assessments.
- Paid eye tests
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Corporate gym membership, fitness classes and access to gym (at some locations)
Work Life Balance
We’ve developed a range of flexible working practices to make it easier for our employees to have a balance between the demands of work and their personal life.
- Competitive annual leave and public holidays.
- Flexi-time core hours 10am -12pm and 2pm – 4pm, up to 3 days off per month.
- Job-share, term-time working and part-time working.
- Phased returns to work and career breaks.
- Maternity, paternity, adoption, parental, carer's, marriage, bereavement, special and annual leave
- We support many different charitable organisations across the province which our employees support through volunteering and fundraising.
- Green Employer - We are industry leaders in energy efficiency. We facilitate renewable energy such as solar panels, oil buying schemes, recycling etc.