Skip to content

Do you need more social housing in your area?

Published: Thur, 6 Feb 2014
Share |
In many rural areas the need for new housing can remain hidden
Rural cottage view
We are currently carrying out an exercise to help decide if there is a need for new rented social housing in specific parts of Northern Ireland.
So if you live or want to live in any of the areas listed below then let us know:
  • Longfield
  • Bellaghy
  • Toome
  • Upperlands
  • Glenravel
  • Glebe
  • Magheramason
  • Windyhall
  • Craigavole
  • Drumquin
We are also looking at interest in buying an affordable home through shared ownership – part buy/part rent. The exercise runs until 28th February 2014 and anyone who needs a home is being encouraged to register their interest by this date.
Usually, we check the housing waiting lists to determine housing need. However, in rural areas people sometimes do not register as they feel they will have little chance of being housed.
This means that in many rural areas the need for new housing can remain hidden which is why we want to find out if houses are needed in those areas listed. It is essential that anyone in genuine housing need comes forward and registers with the Housing Executive. If the need for new dwellings exists, this can be highlighted to Housing Associations who will seek to develop an appropriate site.
You can register your interest for social housing in your local area by contacting us, quoting LD and the name of your area.
The contact details for each area are:
  • For Longfield, Bellaghy, Toome, Upperlands and Glenravel call your local office on 028 25667881
  • If you live in Glebe or Magheramason contact 02871 306177
  • And if you live in Windyhall or Craigavole the number to call is 02871 306169
  • For Drumquin contact 02838 315870
If you register an interest, you may be contacted by a Housing Officer to complete an application.