New cohesion Forum
Published: Mon, 19 Sep 2016
New cohesion Forum to assist communities move forward.
Today is the start of Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week and the Housing Executive marked it with the launch of its Strategic Cohesion Forum.
By working together as a partnership, the Forum will influence, shape and inform the Housing Executive’s Community Cohesion Strategy and policies. The Forum will help communities transition in the journey towards good relations and assist communities to move forward.
Chairman, Dr. William Mitchell said:
“We are delighted to be part of this innovative approach of engaging with communities but stress that this is not an exclusive club, it is fluid and will be responsive to issues as and when they arise.”
Jennifer Hawthorne, Head of Neighbourhoods & Communities, said:
“The membership of the Forum is by way of nomination/selection from the Housing Community Network (HCN) and other key representative organisations and the Members will reflect the broad cross-section of our customers in terms of age, gender, economic and social status, race and community background.”
Vice-Chair of the Forum, Harry Maguire explained:
“The Strategic Cohesion Forum will act as a lobbying and influencing Forum and will assist the Housing Executive in shaping its community led approach to ensure maximum impact and the best outcomes for their tenants.”
The Forum will:-
- Proactively collaborate with communities and other agencies to shape and influence the Housing Executive’s Community Cohesion Strategy across Northern Ireland
- Provide a collective voice for Cohesion issues
- Proactively promote Community Cohesion within and between Housing Executive estates
- Challenge and influence policy at a local and strategic level
- Inform thinking for other statutory bodies
- Positively influence, support and promote communities in transition