Be aware of bogus callers
Published: Wed, 8 Nov 2017
Housing Executive tenants in Belfast are being advised to exercise caution when answering doors to tradesmen at home in the city.
Our Belfast Region Manager Jennifer Hawthorne said:
“Tenants should be extra vigilant for bogus callers as theft is usually their aim especially as the festive period approaches. These bogus callers will frequently claim to be from a public body like the Housing Executive or a contractor.
"Residents should not allow anyone to enter their home without proper identification.”
The Housing Executive offers the following key advice to tenants:
- Our staff and contractors, and those from other public bodies will have a photographic identity card.
- Check this carefully, if they have forgotten their ID card they will understand if entry is refused.
- If you are in any doubt at all, take no chances, and refuse entry.
Only a bogus caller will insist on entry without proper identification so:
- If you have a door chain or spy hole - use it, or look out of the window;
- Phone us on 03448 920 900 to check the caller’s details if they claim to be from the Housing Executive;
- You can also phone ‘Quick Check’, on 0800 013 22 90 a 24 hour freephone service to check the identity of the caller;
- If you are suspicious call the police on the non-emergency number 101