Skip to content

Requesting information under the act

Updated: 16 Feb 2019
Share |
Your request must be made in writing
Posting complaint
Requests under the Freedom of Information Act must be made in writing (including e-mail) and you will need to provide:
  • your name and address for correspondence
  • sufficient detail to enable staff to locate the information.

What response should be provided to my request for information?

Subject to exemption, we are obliged to:
  • advise you whether we hold the information you have requested
And, if we do:
  • supply this information within 20 working days from receipt of the request.
  • and, if the Housing Executive refuses to disclose any or all of the information requested, we must tell you the exemption relied upon and why the exemption was applied.

Can I have the decision reviewed?

Yes, we have an internal review procedure and if you are dissatisfied with our decision in response to your request you can ask to have the decision reviewed. A senior officer will carry out the review by considering all of the information requested.
If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the internal review procedure you may raise your complaint with the Information Commissioner (address and telephone number below).


This offers basic guidance on your rights under the Freedom of Information Act and is not intended to provide an authoritative interpretation of the law relating to Freedom of Information. For further information on the Freedom of Information Act you should contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Office of the Information Commissioner.

Please forward your request to:

The Records Officer

5th Floor
The Housing Centre,
NIHE, 2 Adelaide Street
Belfast BT2 8PB
Telephone 02890240588
e-mail: The Records Officer

Useful contacts

Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House, Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 01625 545 700

Information Commissioner's Office (Northern Ireland)

51 Adelaide Street
Belfast BT2 8FE
Telephone: 028 9051 1270