Skip to content

Houses in Multiple Occupation

Updated: 22 Mar 2019
Share |
HMOs need higher safety standards as there are greater risks
To let sign

Online HMO Application, Renewal and Variation Applications

The Housing Executive accepts online applications for new registrations, renewal of a registration and variation of an existing registration.
Please visit this section for more information:
Please note that this service will not be available when the new licensing scheme administered by the Councils commences. It is anticipated that the new licensing scheme will begin on 01 April 2019.

Finding registered accommodation

The HMO Public Register is now available online, updated on a monthly basis.
Follow @nihecommunity for updates to the register.
We recommend that students and their parents should try to find registered accommodation as a first preference. You can find help and advice on the Studentpad website.
In order to make sure that safety standards are adhered to, we ask landlords to register properties which are being rented out to multiple occupants. Not all HMOs need to be registered. To find out whether your property needs to be registered, please read our definition of relevant HMOs.
If the property is a HMO then it must be registered. If you live in a house with multiple occupants, find out more about what the certificate should cover.
If you are a landlord and you rent out HMOs, find out what you need to do to get certification and what your responsibilities are.
You can download a number of publications from this site, including:
Our HMO offices are:

Properties within Belfast

Belfast HMO Office,
Ground Floor,
2 Adelaide Street,
Tel: 03448 920 900

Properties outside Belfast

HMO Regional Office
19 Abbey Street
Coleraine BT52 1DU
Tel: 03448 920 900