Using registered contractors

We strongly recommend you use a registered builder or contractor to carry out the work to your home.

We call your builder or contractor the ‘Principal Contractor’.

For information to help you to choose a builder read NI Direct's 'Choosing a good builder'

Many builders and contractors register with a warranted builders’ scheme. These schemes may help protect you if there is a dispute.

For example, your builder or contractor may go out of business or fail to complete the work. In such cases the scheme which registered the contractor may arrange for the work to be completed.

It may also act as a mediator between you and the builder or contractor.

The ‘approved cost’ of the work may be more than £5,000.

In this case you must use a builder or contractor registered with one of these warranted builders schemes:

Contractors Insurance Guarantee Services (NI) Ltd

T: 028 7032 5980


The Federation of Master Builders (FMB)

T: 028 9446 0416


You should get estimates for the work from local builders or contractors. We recommend getting at least three estimate / quotes. 

This will help you complete the work at the best price possible.

You are responsible for making sure that you are happy with the standard of work of the builder or contractor you employ.

It may be useful to use an architect, surveyor or other professional to supervise the work for you.  Please note there is no grant-aid available to cover the cost of this service.

We administer grants on behalf of the Department for Communities.

The Housing Executive is not responsible for inspecting the standard of work of your builder or contractor.

You must have all electrical work carried out by a qualified electrical contractor.

They will provide you with a completion certificate when the work is finished.

You must use a specialist contractor to carry out this work.

They should be able to provide you with a guarantee for at least 15 years.

You may receive approval from us for a Replacement Grant.

You must then use a builder who can provide a 10 year guarantee for the completed work.

Your builder must be registered with one of the following schemes:

The Federation of Master Builders (FMB)

T: 028 9446 0416 | E:

You must not start any work until you receive an ‘Approval of Application’ in writing from us.

This approval confirms:

  • how much grant aid you will get
  • that you can start work
  • the date by which you must finish the work

You must provide all the documentation and statutory approvals before we issue this.

It can take up to six months for us to provide an ‘Approval of Application’.

The following services may be able to offer you help in the applying for a Grant.

Radius Housing 

T: 033 0123 0888 (Staying Put Team)


T: 028 7188 2147

E: (operates in Limavady, Derry~Londonderry, Magherafelt, Strabane).

For more information contact your local grants office:

T: 03448 920 900 (Textphone 18001 03448 920 900).

How long will the whole process take?