Saving on oil
Most households in Northern Ireland (c.68%) are dependent on oil as their main heat source.
Traditionally the cheapest way to buy oil is in bulk (eg 900 litres) as smaller quantities of oil cost more per litre to deliver. However, large one-off bulk deliveries of oil can be a difficult way to purchase oil for some households and they may have no option but to buy smaller, more expensive, quantities. However there is a way to combat this…oil buying clubs.
What's an oil club?
Oil buying clubs are based on a simple, but effective premise…the more people from who buy oil together the more the cost can be reduced. Households can buy as little as 200 litres of oil and when all club member orders are put together a better price can be obtained and the saving made passed on equally to all.
We have been working in partnership with Bryson Energy to establish a network of oil buying clubs in Northern Ireland.
There are now 27 clubs with over 4,000 members across Northern Ireland.
To find out if there’s a club near you contact the Housing Executive on (028) 95 98 2068 or (028) 95 98 3316, text your details to 079 3984 3716 or email: email@example.com
How it works:
- Members place their order by a specified date with the community co-ordinator this might be by email, text or phone. Alternatively they can leave an order form with a specific organisation (eg Credit Union) involved in promoting the oil club locally.
- Each club co-ordinator negotiates the best price for the bulk order of oil for the group on a specified date each month.
- Members are contacted with details of the discounted cost per litre and proposed delivery date. At this point they must confirm their order and commit to it.
- Members must pay on delivery or in advance by debit or credit card, depending on any Terms and Conditions established for the group or club.
What are the benefits?
- Buy a minimum of 200 litres
- It is free to join
- Ordering through an Oil Club means you can avoid having to buy ‘emergency 20 litre oil drums’ which can retail at significantly more per litre than a distributor might charge. Also you avoid the risks with transporting oil in your car and transferring oil into the tank.
- Save money - members benefit from a reduction in price per litre with the larger volume order.
- Supplier saves on delivery costs.
- Fewer vehicle movements.
- Reduction in CO2 emissions - fewer deliveries reduces the number of tanker journeys – safer for the community and better for the environment.
- Social cohesion and sense of community spirit.
How much could be saved?
Members could expect savings of between £15 and £30 on their oil orders. Members have been achieving a saving of 10%+ on the most popular quantity 500li*.
*This is the average saving for 500li compared to Consumer Council average prices.
Saving compared to oil drums
On average one 20 litre drum costs approx £8 to fill at the pumps and it takes five drums to make 100 litre which cost approx £40. The minimum order a member can place with an oil club is 200 litres and at Sept 2016 this cost around £62.