Buying with other people

How to buy with other people

A maximum of four people, including the secure tenant, can apply to buy their home.  They must be one of the following:

  • the spouse, or civil partner, of the tenant, or
  • a person who has lived with the tenant for at least 12 months.

If you receive Housing Benefit then the other joint purchasers must be included within your Housing Benefit as a non-dependent who lives with you.

If you don’t receive Housing Benefit the joint purchaser must supply two items of proof. One for the 12-month period before the application, and one to confirm that they currently live at your address.

You can use these documents as proof:

  • benefit notifications
  • wage / salary slips (where they show your address)
  • bank / building society statements
  • utility bills, for example an electricity bill.

You must provide National Insurance Numbers for all of the people applying to buy your home. If you do not complete the application fully, we will send it back to you.

Joint tenants

If you share your home with a joint tenant and they don’t wish to buy with you, the joint tenant must sign the application form to indicate that they don’t wish to apply. Only then will we accept your application.

This may affect your discount entitlement. The tenancy of any tenant not wishing to buy their home will end when their joint tenant buys the property.

test CTA

Is this page helpful?
Yes No