Buying your Housing Executive home

If you are interested in buying your Housing Executive home, this section will give you the information you need.

Tenants with less than five year’s tenancy

You may still be able to buy your home even if you haven’t lived there for five years. This may apply, for example, where you have taken over the tenancy after the death of a family member. This is called a “succession”. The tenancy may have been transferred to you by someone else, such as a husband, wife or civil partner. This is known as tenancy “assignment”.

You can find more details about buying your home in this booklet: Tenant's Guide to Buying a Home

How to apply

You can get an application to buy your home by downloading a House sales application form.

  • You must fully complete the application form, and you must include copies of the identification that we ask for in the form.

  • If you fail to complete the application or fail to provide all of the documentation that we ask for, then we will send your application back to you.

Advice on buying your home

Get advice on buying your home by phoning one of the Land and Regeneration offices. The contact details are below.

Land and Regeneration (Belfast), 2 Adelaide Street, Belfast BT2 8PB. Tel: 03448 920 900 Covering Belfast, Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council areas.

Land and Regeneration (North), Richmond Chambers, The Diamond, Londonderry BT48 6QP. Tel: 03448 920 900 Covering Antrim, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Carrickfergus, Coleraine, Derry City, Larne, Limavady, Moyle,  Newtownabbey and Strabane Council areas.

Land and Regeneration (South), Marlborough House, Central Way, Craigavon BT64 1AJ. Tel: 03448 920 900 Covering Armagh, Banbridge, Cookstown, Craigavon, Dungannon, Downpatrick, Fermanagh, Magherafelt, Newry, Newtownards and North Down and Omagh Council areas.

Information for flat owners

If you buy a flat or maisonette from us, you will have to pay a charge to cover the services that we provide.

This payment covers work that we must carry out. This work includes:

  • repairs

  • cleaning of communal areas

  • maintenance of communal gardens

  • buildings insurance

  • ground rent of £10 per annum for all flat sales

The service charge for multi storey flats or flats with communal access will likely include costs for:

  • carrying out repairs and maintaining lighting in areas that all residents share

  • caretaker / concierge services

  • maintenance of lifts

You will normally pay your service charge annually, but you may have to pay monthly, quarterly or half-yearly.

You will also have to pay towards any planned maintenance and improvement schemes that your home may be included in. This will be on top of your service charge.

You can get more information in our leaflet Leaseholders’ Handbook A guide for Housing Executive Flat Owners

You can get more information on service charges from our Leasehold Unit in Belfast. Contact them on 03448 920 900.

Building Insurance

You may need to make a claim for damage to the structure of the building that your flat is in. You can get more information from this leaflet.