If you are a secure tenant, who has carried out improvements to your home, you may be able to claim compensation. The improvements must have been approved by us and been carried out on or after 29th July 2003.
Who gets compensation?
- If you are a Housing Executive secure tenant you may be able to get compensation for any approved improvements to your house or flat.
- In special circumstances others may be able to claim on your behalf.
- Where you have succeeded to the tenancy, such as taking over from a tenant who has died you may not qualify for compensation. Contact your local office for more information.
You will not receive compensation if:
- you buy your house or flat from us
- your home is being repossessed by us
- you are being given a new tenancy for your existing home.
Permission to make improvements
You must get our written permission before you make any improvements to your home. If we refuse to give permission, you can appeal our decision to the area manager or the county court. You will only receive compensation if we agreed to the improvements before they were made.