Compensation for home improvements

If you are a secure tenant, who has carried out improvements to your home, you may be able to claim compensation. The improvements must have been approved by us and been carried out on or after 29th July 2003.

Who gets compensation?

  • If you are a Housing Executive secure tenant you may be able to get compensation for any approved improvements to your house or flat.
  • In special circumstances others may be able to claim on your behalf.
  • Where you have succeeded to the tenancy, such as taking over from a tenant who has died you may not qualify for compensation. Contact your local office for more information.

You will not receive compensation if:

  • you buy your house or flat from us
  • your home is being repossessed by us
  • you are being given a new tenancy for your existing home.

Permission to make improvements

You must get our written permission before you make any improvements to your home.  If we refuse to give permission, you can appeal our decision to the area manager or the county court. You will only receive compensation if we agreed to the improvements before they were made.

Further information

You can only get compensation for certain home improvements. Any improvements must have been started on or after 29th July 2003. 

Examples of improvements that may qualify for compensation include installing, replacing or fitting:

  • a bath or shower
  • wash-hand basin
  • toilet
  • kitchen sink
  • storage cupboards in bathroom or kitchen
  • work surfaces for food preparation
  • space or water heating
  • thermostatic radiator valves
  • insulation of pipes, water tank or cylinder
  • loft insulation
  • cavity wall insulation 
  • draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • double glazing or other external window replacement
  • secondary glazing
  • rewiring or the provision of power and lighting or other electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)
  • any object that improves the security of the home but excluding burglar alarms.
  • Decorating the inside of your home does not qualify for compensation.
  • What can I claim compensation for?
  • You can claim compensation for:
  • the cost of materials (but not appliances such as cookers or fridges)
  • labour costs (but not your own labour)

When you apply for compensation you will need to give us an invoice showing the cost of the improvements.

Water Hygiene