An Interdepartmental Review of Adaptations (Department of Health/Department for Communities) was completed in 2016.
The Northern Ireland Assembly endorsed the implementation of an Adaptations Design Communications Toolkit.
This is now referred to as the Interdepartmental Housing Adaptations Design Toolkit .
The Toolkit was produced with involvement from:
- the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.
- HSC Trust Occupational Therapy Services.
- Housing Associations.
- People with disabilities through the support of Disability Action.
- Minor housing adaptations (Select List) which can be provided by Housing Providers. These do not need referral to Occupational Therapy Services.
- Evidence based, consistent and fair housing adaptation design standards for all tenures.
- Improved design formats that help service users better understand housing adaptations.
- Electronic communication formats that help timely and consistent communications between health and housing staff involved in the adaptation process.
The document is unique to Northern Ireland and referenced as a good practice guide. It was reviewed, updated and relaunched in June 2022.
You can now download the Interdepartmental Housing Adaptations Design Toolkit.