Transferring or exchanging to a new home
Most Housing Executive or housing association tenants can request a transfer from or exchange their property for alternative social housing.
If you are already a tenant of the Housing Executive or a housing association and you want to move to another social housing property you can apply for a transfer.
Did you know that you can request a transfer on the My Housing Executive portal?
My Housing Executive allows Housing Executive tenants to access information about your tenancy and to contact us securely 24 hours a day.
You can also apply for a transfer by completing a ‘Housing/Transfer Application Form’.
Download and complete the Transfer Application Form.
Arranging an exchange
You may find potential home swaps by word of mouth, advertising in newspapers, or online, or postcards in shop windows.
You must get permission before you exchange your home. If you find a suitable swap you should contact us to register for a mutual exchange.
You must also complete a:
We will then:
- Inspect both homes before approving the exchange.
- Approve requests, unless there is good reason not to do so.
- Send our decision in writing to you, and the other tenant, within 42 days of your request.
Where we approve the exchange both tenants must sign a form to complete the tenancy assignment.
When you accept your new property you agree to take it in its current condition. We will not carry out any repairs unless they are needed to comply with health and safety legislation.
You may also wish to check how this may affect your Right to Buy your new home in the future, before you make your decision.
When viewing or showing a home we recommend that you take some basic precautions to make sure you are safe:
- Arrange the viewing time in daylight
- Have someone with you - don’t show your own home or go to see another home on your own
- Tell someone when and where you are going
- Bring a mobile phone with you and keep it switched on