Insurance and TV licences

Your TV licence

Make sure you are correctly licensed. You need a valid TV Licence to watch or record television programmes as they are shown on TV.

This includes shows watched on:

  • TV
  • mobile phone
  • PC or other devices

Ways to pay

You can pay for your TV Licence by:

  • direct debit
  • debit/credit card via the TV Licensing website
  • over the phone
  • cheque in the post
  • payment card
  • cash or debit/credit card at any PayPoint outlet or over the phone

Are you eligible for a free licence?

If you or someone you live with is aged 75 or over, you are entitled to a free TV licence.

I am over 75 how do I get my free TV licence?

  1. Apply for a TV licence
  2. Provide TV Licensing with your date of birth and national insurance number
  3. A free licence will be renewed automatically once they have verified your details.

To find out more about the payment options visit

Home Contents Insurance

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home.

If you live in one of our homes we are responsible for your home’s bricks and mortar, not its contents.

If any of your furniture, belongings or decorations are stolen, damaged as a result of fire or vandalism or a weather related incident (for example, burst pipes) then you must use your contents insurance to make a claim.

For more information about purchasing home contents insurance you can:

  • contact Supporting Communities on 028 2564 5676;
  • your local Housing Executive office: 03448 920 900 | NGT* General enquiries 18001 03448 920 900
  • speak to an insurance broker in your area
  • search comparison websites online

Make sure you get several quotes before picking a company to use and ask if they would be happy to arrange for you to pay weekly or monthly so you can spread the cost.

For further information and advice download our Making your Money Work leaflet.

*Next Generation Text (NGT)

For use by those who are deaf, hearing or speech impaired; a textphone or App is needed.

Keeping pets