To promote and sustain a healthy private rented sector in Northern Ireland, which offers choice and flexibility by influencing the supply of private rented accommodation and also encourages a better quality, better managed sector.
To create a legislative structure for the private rented sector which addresses inequities and targets unfitness by:
- Making sure that landlords keep rented homes in good repair and charge reasonable rent
- Clarifying and promoting the rights and responsibilities of private rented sector landlords and tenants
- Improve housing conditions in the private rented sector
- Encouraging housing choice by promoting the private rented sector as a viable and affordable housing option
- Positively influencing the amount of accommodation available for private renting
- Promoting high standards of management within the private rented sector